Thursday, February 03, 2011

Hard Times and Nursery Rhymes



I am loving Social Distortion's new album "Hard Times and Nursery Rhymes, it is amazing!

Diamond in the rough is playing right now. "you're dirty and you're damaged all you need is a little love, The inside sparkles like the stars up above"

Social D has always walked that fine line to me of punk rock nihilist rebel and spiritual seeker. He goes from songs like "I was wrong," "When the Angels Sing," and "Gotta Know the Rules" to songs like "Down on the World Again." I know that a lot of this has to do with late guitarist Dennis Danell who became a believer and a voice for Christians in music, especially the "punk" scene. White Heat, White Light, and White Trash is perhaps one of the more spiritual albums that I have heard across the board. On both sides I hear people scoffing and "begging to differ" but there is a heart yearning and longing in Mike Ness' music that wreaks of real life and a desire for something more.

He once sang, "the funerals are nicer when you are there" on When the Angels sing and we all know it is indeed true. Especially upon reflection of Dennis' death and the grieving of Ness' long time friend. I have walked this line several times in my own life, seeing friends and family dying and it taking me back to a spirit of thanks for what Christ has done in our lives. The funerals are nicer when you are there and honestly, all of life is walked, free from the yoke that this life puts upon us, when we journey with Christ.

So I thank Mr. Ness for the encouragement, even if it is from an unlikely place, resonating with the pain and struggle of life but the spark and desire to carry on and Persevere!

Rocking Steady

2 comments:

StandingAtTheFreedomTree said...

Isn't it awesome how God inspires, teaches, or encourages us from unlikely sources? I have learned much from music and friends that I would not have thought could teach me anything.
Carry on!

Scott said...

Ahh Mike Ness, the misunderstood preacher from the street.