Thursday, February 17, 2011

I have calmed and quieted my Soul




You ever have a song, an experience, or an object, that every time you see, smell, hear it, you are reminded of that time, you are taken immediately back to to that moment? Psalm 131 is one of those things for me. But it is the Psalm performed to music that takes me back, makes me stop, and....quiets my soul.

I was doing my daily reading today and I read Psalm 131. In our lives I think that there are things that resonate with us, that strike at our core and bring peace, hope, strength to our lives. Psalm 131 hit me right between the eyes this morning.

I had an insanely blessed time of growing while I was in College. When I went to ACU I prayed, and I prayed hard. "God, give me friends that want you more than anything else, don't let me fall into the "rut of life."" He answered... and he answered big, no HUGE. I had a tribe around me, a crew of warriors that pressed on to take hold of that which had taken hold of them...Christ seekers, followers of the WAY, Christians.

We were able to love on one another, encourage each other, and do life together in ways that I had never experienced. I think that is one of the joys of college...or it can be.

We did everything together and everyone was welcome. We had parties...HUGE PARTIES where we came together, hung out, and prayed. Nice to know that this is not an oxymoron. It was a revolution of my heart and I loved every moment.

We also played and listened to, were ministered too, lived music together.

There were a couple of bands that always spoke to us, that crept past the gates of our humanity, quietly but boldly walking into the sacred places of our heart, and set up shop to do business with us.

Waterdeep was one of those bands. They were good, no AMAZING
musicians, their songwriting struck a natural resonance with our souls. It brought us to our knees, made us stand in worship, and called us to be transformed.

So...Psalm 131. It is a simple Psalm with no pomp or revelry band, just a simple, quiet, yet powerful scripture.

1 My heart is not proud, LORD,
my eyes are not haughty;
I do not concern myself with great matters
or things too wonderful for me.
2 But I have calmed and quieted myself,
I am like a weaned child with its mother;
like a weaned child I am content.

3 Israel, put your hope in the LORD
both now and forevermore.

The Matthew Henry Commentary says, "The psalmist aimed at nothing high or great, but to be content in every condition God allotted. The love of God reigning in the heart, will subdue self-love."

Let us trust in the Lord, let us be stilled, be quieted, and confidently trust in Him and what He puts before us. And why not... His is CREATOR, FATHER, ALPHA and OMEGA...He is our GOD.
"‘Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven." Matt. 6:9,10

I love these words, I resonate with these words, they shake the dust of the dry bones, crying out to something cryptic that lies in all of us.

Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us. And when we bring what is within us out into the world, miracles happen."

So what is left? An admonition, a cry, a plea

O Israel, people of the WAY, followers of Christ, Trust in the Lord....period

and a link, a link to the song that started it all. So stop...still and quiet your soul... and Listen, and don't just listen, let Him come into that inner sanctum and speak to you.



Blessings

4 comments:

sarabo said...

I love you, Army of ACU :)

Anonymous said...

put in me what i cannot buy with gold. waterdeep sticks.

StandingAtTheFreedomTree said...

Yes, I am often taken back to a certain time and place through music. Glad your example is one that takes you to God :)

Aldean said...

Thank you for blessing us Matt! Love you tons.